Serita Stevens is an award-winning screenwriter, author, and psychiatric nurse trained in forensics, who actively works as an expert witness.
Upon receiving her Master’s in Communications and Writing with honors from Antioch University in London, England, she went on to become well known in the romance and mystery fields. She then relocated to Los Angeles when offered a teaching job in writing at USC.
Her first published book, a historical romance from Pocket Books, was her introduction to film when she was asked to write a treatment of that novel for possible adaptation. Subsequently, she was hired by the studio to write the prequel of the TV series, Cagney and Lacey.
Serita is also a successful non-fiction author. The Book of Poisons (Writer’s Digest Books) is a how-to guide that teaches writers the art of killing off their victims correctly, and The Forensic Nurse (St. Martin’s Press) shows how nurses help law enforcement solve crimes. She is currently working on a true story from the Civil War era, The Master’s Will, with co-author Jim Potts, who is and descendant of the main character.
She has written multiple award-winning scripts including Dragon’s Seed (with director Sean McNamara). Her other credits include projects with Larry Levinson/Hallmark and Warner Home Video.
Serita is an active member of Women In Film (WIF), Women Helping Women, and Changing Images in America. She has taught writing at USC, UCLA, Loyola Marymount, Roosevelt University, and Santa Monica College. She also participated in the “Inside Out Writers Program” where writers teach incarcerated gang members.
Serita is on the board of the Hollywood International Film Festival. She also mentors and teaches writing to independent students and does adaptations, both from her own material and others. Serita has served as a judge for the SET (Scientific, Engineering and Technology) awards – honoring films and shows with scientific correctness.
Serita lives in Lake View Terrace, CA with her husband and adopted daughter from Romania.
- Saving Spirit / Original script for Larry Levinson/ Hallmark, in pre-production
- Champagne for Two / Warner Home Video
- Lilac Dreams / Warner Home Video
- The Unborn / Pupperazzi Productions and IsoFilms
- Promises Maid / Just Us Productions
- Dragon’s Seed – Best screenplay the Cinema City International Film Fest
- Murder Me Twice – Finalist ISA award, Best Screenplay Cinema City International Film Festival, official selection of SF Film Festival
- Mother in Law – Cinema City Film Fest; Best Dramady – Broad Humor Festival, Geller Festival Finalist
- The Unborn – award nomination for short story; Talentville award for script; numerous festivals
- Unholy Alliance – Best book for the Reluctant Reader by the American Library Association.
- Match Made in Heaven – Best Screenplay, Cinema City/ Best comedy Broad Humor Festival, Geller Festival finalist, Beverly Hills Film Festival Official selection.
- Lightning and Fire – Best Biblical Romance RWA (now a screenplay); Geller Festival and Kairos finalist
- Deceptive Desires – Best Western Romantic Suspense (now Logan’s Land screenplay)
- Unholy Orders – MaCavity and Anthony Awards
- Red Sea, Dead Sea – nominated for Anthony Award (now a TV pilot Golden Murders)
- Gangsta – Writers Boot Camp Fellowship Award; Talentville best of the week
- Angel Wings – finalist – International Family Film Festival
- The Unborn Witness – finalist – Page Awards, semi finalist Table Read My Screenplay